The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
Reports to: Director of Conservation
Starting/Ending: 2021 / 2022
Engagement: Full time position
WWF is one of the world’s leading non-governmental and non-profit organizations for nature conservation. WWF was established in 1961, and has representative offices in over 100 countries across the globe and approximately 6200 employees. The organization is proud of its supporters of over five million people.
WWF Adria is representing WWF within the countries of Western Balkans with approximately 60 employees. It operates through a WWF Adria office in Zagreb (Croatia), WWF Adria-Serbia office in Belgrade, and partner organizations and consultants within the rest of the region. To implement its conservation goals WWF Adria operates in the structure of different programmes (Marine, Freshwater, Protected Areas & Governance and Wildlife) which are contributing to protection of different ecosystems or to the improvement of governance of protected areas within the Protected Areas & Governance Programme.
WWF Adria is looking to strengthen its green and blue economy team in order to provide smart targeted solutions for local communities’ well-being, built on nature / biodiversity conservation, and utilizing principles of nature-based solutions and circular / low-carbon / blue economy. The immediate work will be implemented on island geographies in Croatia, making use of efforts currently underway, but seeking to set the foundation for longer-term engagement through establishment of WWF Adria smart and sustainable islands initiative that would eventually result with 1) conserved islands ecosystems, also supporting protection of marine ecosystems; 2) increased climate resilience of islands and island communities through green and blue economy, application of smart technologies and nature based solutions to island economy development, and 3) WWF Adria recognized as a credible partner to relevant stakeholders in developing smart and sustainable business solutions, thus contributing to post-Covid recovery, climate change mitigation and adaptation and operationalization of the European Green Deal.
WWF Adria is, thus, looking for a project officer to implement projects i) MedIsWet and ii) Insulae, as envisaged actions in both support the start of the above-mentioned initiative.
- Major functions
- Implements project activities according to project workplans
- Nature-based economic development:
- Developing opportunities for sustainable development on islands based on nature conservation, incl. leveraging tourism to support nature conservation
- Developing integrated design and implementation of local innovative development strategies on “case study” islands (Insulae and MedIsWet project locations) that may be reproduced in the rest of the Croatian islands and inspire them to join in the sustainable islands initiative
- Mainstreaming green and blue economy, nature based solutions, circular economy and sustainable finance principles into agendas of local development and national policies, contributing to implementation of the European Green Deal, the EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region (EUSAIR) and the sustainable blue growth
- Introducing information of technologies (ICT) to facilitate the optimisation of island efficiency and functioning
- Enabling legal framework:
- Policy advocacy to support island wetlands protection, valuation as important habitats
- Green and blue economy principles recognized in relevant framework to support sustainable development of islands
- Addressing regulatory framework gaps preventing or disabling sustainable development of island communities
- Promoting WWF’s sustainable blue growth agenda and mechanisms on the policy level
- Maintains and develops partnerships and stakeholder engagement according to project workplans
- Mobilizing local communities in project locations to engage in sustainable islands development, based on nature-conservation, green / blue / circular economy
- Building on project partnerships to expand on other locations
- Exploring other partnerships to join our ventures and / or provide funding, including corporate partnerships
- Supports monitoring and reporting at project level
- Supports fundraising for WWF Adria program unit
- Creating pipeline of ideas to further pursue based on international best examples, planning with existing partnerships, or generated during local community engagement
- Supporting development of fundable (and bankable) project ideas to secure continuation and upscaling of engagement
- Relevant University level qualification or equivalent experience in development, business development, sustainable development, environmental management or similar
- Minimum 3 years working in community development issues, ideally in relation to conservation and/or sustainable development
- Demonstrable experience in project management
- Understanding of conservation issues, climate change, ecological footprint
- Demonstrable experience with policy advocacy and lobbying
- Good oral and written Croatian and English communication skills
III. Competences and characteristics
- Self-driven, motivated, team-player with good organizational skills,
- Comfortable working alone
- Ability to initiate actions and follow through to satisfactory completion,
- Adheres to WWF values, including social and environmental safeguards,
- Networker, dynamic and enthusiastic personality
Availability to travel (always respecting national and international Covid travel limitations).
IV. Information and procedure
Are you interested in this position and do you recognize yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to express your interest before February 24th 2021 by sending an e-mail with motivation letter and CV in English with list of two references to email@example.com and titled “Project Officer – Sustainable islands vacancy application”
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted, and for selected candidates interview will be held virtually.