The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Adria You Are Here
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
WWF Adria is hiring a Project Officer in Croatia. Interested candidates should submit their application, including motivation letter, CV and two references (preferably one regards to implementation of an EU project) by March 19th 2020.
Position title: WWF Adria Project Officer
Reports to: WWF Adria Freshwater Program Manager
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Starting/ending: mid-April 2020 – mid-March 2021
WWF is one of the world’s leading non-governmental and non-profit nature conservation organizations. It has been established in 1961, and has representative offices in over 100 countries.
WWF Adria is representing WWF within the countries of Western Balkans with approximately 60 employees. It is operating through WWF Adria office located in Zagreb and WWF Adria-Serbia office located in Belgrade, supported additionally by partner organizations and consultants within the rest of the region. To implement its conservation goals WWF Adria operates in the structure of different programmes (Marine, Freshwater, and Wildlife) which are contributing to protection of different ecosystems or to the enforcement of governance of protected areas within the Governance Programme.
- Project description
Goal of the Freshwater Programme is to protect and restore freshwater ecosystems of the Western Balkans. We are addressing issues that have a negative impact on our rivers and their floodplains (e.g. hydropower, unsustainable water management, navigation, etc.). In the context of this programme, WWF works on policy level, with decision makers, civil society and local communities in order to strengthen protection of freshwater ecosystems and collaboration among different stakeholders. One of the main objectives of the freshwater programme is sustainable management of the planned 5-country UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube (TBR MDD - http://www.amazon-of-europe.com/en/biosphere-reserve/).
With this open vacancy we are looking for a maternity leave replacement, where the new employed WWF Adria Project Officer will contribute to the goal of the freshwater programme with a specific focus on the planned 5-country TBR MDD. Main task will be implementation of two EU projects financed by the DTP Interreg, Amazon of Europe Bike Trail which is already under implementation and lifelineMDD with the planned start in June 2020.
Amazon of Europe Bike Trail (http://www.interreg-danube.eu/approved-projects/amazon-of-europe-bike-trail)
Amazon of Europe Bike Trail is a Danube Transnational Programme Project that joins the efforts of 5 countries (Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary and Serbia) to establish an internationally recognized and sustainable flagship Cycling Tourism Product in the future 5-country UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube (TBR MDD). The aim of the project is sustainable economic development of the region, based on valorization of natural and cultural resources. We will implement a joint integrated solution for sustainable cycling tourism, while preserving the environment.
lifelineMDD (start planned for June 2020)
lifelineMDD (DTP Interreg project) aims to support restoration and conservation of the planned 5-country TBR MDD. Ecological connectivity is reduced due to human interferences on rivers, their floodplains and natural processes. lifelineMDD addresses these issues with a cross-sectoral partnership, aiming to improve connectivity and biodiversity within the TBR MDD by restoration of natural river dynamics. Strategic integrated approach to river restoration, based on scientific studies will be developed in cooperation of NGOs, nature protection and water management authorities.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities
Amazon of Europe Bike Trail (Interreg Danube Transnational Programme 2014-2020)
- Participate in project meetings, study visits and project workshops;
- Prepare project reports after each project period in coordination with the Administrator Officer and Communication Officer (1 report during the employment contract);
- Coordinate with the WP3 and WP4 (The Project Work Packages 3 and 4) leaders to define the route in Croatia, while using inputs from the regional coordinators
- Lead the WP6 (Valorization Programme) and finalize the Valorization Programme with the subcontracted expert and WWF colleagues
- Regular communication with the leading partner and support to the Adria Communication Officer
lifelineMDD (Interreg Danube Transnational Programme 2014-2020)
- Participate in project meetings, study visits and project workshops;
- Prepares project reports after each project period in coordination with the Project Administrator and Communication Officer (1 report during the employment contract);
- Regularly communicates with the WWF Adria lifelineMDD project staff (Project Administrator, Project Officer and Communication Manager)
- Regularly communicates with lifelineMDD Project Manager from WWF Austria, WWF Adria TBR MDD Coordinator
- Support procurement procedures (content wise), while Project Administrator is responsible to ensure all relevant procedures are followed;
- Implements all project activities as required by the lifelineMDD application form
- Organization of workshops and events in the scope of the project
Outside of projects, the employed WWF Adria Project Officer also supports Adria TBR MDD Coordinator in implementation of the TBR MDD strategy in Croatia.
- Skills and competencies
- Minimum: A degree in the broad area of environmental science, natural resources science, environmental law or related fields and 2 years of professional experience in EU project management
- Excellent oral and written Croat and English communication skills are required
- Good inter-personal and organizational skills, including self-motivation and an ability to initiate actions and to follow through to satisfactory completion.
- A good level of computer literacy, especially word-processing, budget and spreadsheet preparation, database record systems, electronic mail.
- An ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good team work skills
- Working Relationships
- Works in close contact with program manager in preparation and updating of the project’s strategy and business plan, program development, monitoring of program implementation.
- Coordinates closely with the Adria Finance & Administration unit for project budgeting, contracting, monitoring of project spending, financial reporting.
- Participates in designing and implementing project communications
- Interacts with project partners mostly within collaborative and divergent external context
To apply for this position, please send your motivation letter, CV and two references (preferably one regards to implementation of an EU project) via e-mail titled “Open vacancy - Project Officer” to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by March 19th 2020.
Please know that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.