The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
Deadline for applying is May 29, 2020
Title Consultant: Education Policy Expert/Consultant
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Duration: June – July 2020
Type of contract: Individual Consultant Contract
Application deadline: 29.05.2020.
About WWF Adria
WWF is one of the world’s leading non-governmental and non-profit nature conservation organizations. WWF was established in 1961, and now has representative offices in over 100 countries across the globe, with approximately 6200 employees. WWF is proud of the over five million people who support the organization. WWF Adria represents WWF within the countries of the former-Yugoslavia and Albania through an office in Zagreb (Croatia), WWF Adria-Serbia office in Belgrade, and partner organizations in other countries in the region. Currently WWF Adria counts approximately 60 staff members and consultants.
About the Protected Areas for Nature and People II (PA4NP II) project
WWF is currently implementing the Protected Areas for Nature and People II (PA4NP II) project in eight Western Balkans countries, including Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia and North Macedonia.
The PA4NP II aims to:
- Improve national policies for Protected Areas management and biodiversity conservation;
- Raise awareness of biodiversity issues and promote active citizenship;
- Strengthen the accountability of decision-makers for their actions related to nature protection;
- Ensure local communities are able to participate in and benefit from sustainable development in Protected Areas; and
- Increase community participation in the management of Protected Areas.
Background and Purpose
A key means of raising awareness of biodiversity issues and promoting active citizenship to protect nature is environmental education. Environmental education targets people of all ages, but is most often focused on children and young people.
Environmental education is conducted by a range of stakeholders around the world, including international organizations, conservation institutions, such as protected areas, schools and universities, non-governmental organizations, such as WWF, and others.
Environmental education is conducted indoors and outside, in classrooms and in nature. Thus, in order to make policy and advocacy activities, WWF Adria seeks a Consultant to undertake an analysis of environmental education policy in Una-Sana Canton, Sarajevo Canton, Canton 10 and Republika Srpska and to provide education policy recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Consultant
- Assess the extent to which environmental education is integrated into formal education curricula including identification of existing education policies (laws, regulations, strategies, action plans, etc.) in Una-Sana Canton; Sarajevo Canton, Canton 10 and Republika Srpska,
- Identify the main stakeholders (decision makers) in education policy and analyze decision making processes in Una-Sana Canton; Sarajevo Canton, Canton 10 and Republika Srpska,
- Evaluate how policies are being used in practice, in primary and secondary schools and are supported by other education institutions (including lifecycle of the curriculum development and implementation) in Una-Sana Canton; Sarajevo Canton, Canton 10 and Republika Srpska.
- Identify potential entry points for environmental non-formal education that aims to support the implementation of relevant curricula with a focus on non-formal education within Protected Areas (ecological and social aspect) in Una-Sana Canton; Sarajevo Canton, Canton 10 and Republika Srpska.
- Map and evaluate existing environmental education programmes for developing teachers’ skills and competences with a focus on practical activities with children.;
- Based on strengths and weaknesses noted above, in cooperation with WWF, provide policy and practical recommendations (with potential advocacy actions to be taken) on how to achieve widespread access among school children to high quality environmental education in targeted locations – including identification of key stakeholders to achieve widespread access among school children to high quality environmental education.
- Identify and recommend existing and potential sources of government funding for environmental education in schools and in relevant Protected Areas.
Deliverables and Timeline
- Prepare and submit a draft report (in B/H/S with the summary written in English language) to WWF for feedback by July15th 2020.
- Prepare a revised final report (in B/H/S with the summary written in English language) including feedback by July 31th 2020.
Required skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Thorough knowledge of environmental education principles and practices in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Experience of conducting policy analysis in the field of education
- Fluent oral and written skills of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language
- Fluent English and excellent writing skills
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application based on the description of the duties and responsibilities, by e-mail to email@example.com until 29.05.2020, latest.
Short listed candidates will be invited to an interview online.
The application should include following:
- Cover letter,
- Applicants CV,
- Proposed methodology (maximum 3 pages).
Maximum gross total fee for the contract is 2,600.00 EUR.
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/99 and the IJC opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
 Environmental education is a process that allows individuals to explore environmental issues, engage in problem solving, and take action to improve the environment. Through environmental education, individuals develop a deeper understanding of environmental issues and acquire the skills necessary to make informed and responsible decisions. Environmental education does not advocate a particular viewpoint or course of action. Rather, it teaches individuals how to weigh various sides of an issue through critical thinking and enhances their own problem-solving and decision-making skills.